Saturday, March 28, 2009

Your Wish Has Been Grant-ed


Another sad day in the life of a Mid Major program. Last night, VCUs coach Anthony Grant bolted for the big SEC. He became the coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide.


As a Mid Major fan, I dont know how i like this. On one hand it's a great honor for Grant, and even VCU, but on the other, it's almost like a slap in the face. Grant is basically saying "Hey, thanks VCU, I used you guys to get my name out there. While i took you to the dance twice, I see bigger and better things at Alabama." That is all fine and dandy, but while finishing that sentence I now know how I feel. I dont like this move. I hope Alabama falls flat on their face next year. I like Anthony Grant, and love what he has done for the CAA, but if all goes to the shitter for him next year, it will show off VCUs talent, and less of Anthony Grant.


This always seems to happen. The previous coach at VCU was Jeff Capel (a Dukie baby). He left the school for the Oklahoma Sooners. That was a job well done, as tomorrow night they are playing for a spot in the Final 4. The cool thing about him leaving was, that VCU had it in the contract clause that if Capel were to leave VCU, he would have his new team sign a multi-year contract to play them. Next year, Oklahoma will be coming into the Siegal Center in Richmond,VA.


I love the CAA, and dont like hearing news like this, but such is life. Grant had to chase that paper, and its understood. Just dont expect me to root for him.


C-A-A

C-A-A

C-A-A

(minus Drexel)


-Brian
PS. In my first blog, I had posted about Jeff Capel, and the life and times of a mid major.

http://sportsmark.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment