Thursday, March 12, 2009

My New Beef


Many of you know, the past 2 nights I have been using our "media credentials" at the Big East Tournament. Tonight I took a night off to get home at a decent hour of the night, and to drop a blog. My recent celebrity status has really taken a toll on me. But yea, lets get down to bidness.


So as i'm sitting in MSG the past 2 nights, I am thinking to myself "Conference tournaments are just another way to crush the mid major.". Who effin cares about UConn/Syracuse? It doesnt matter which teams wins, they are both going dancing in March, and this only secures a seed. This is along the same lines with my gripe of the Bracketbusters (see older post). The CAA was a great league this year, like last year, and the many years before that. VCU played George Mason in the tournament championship and VCU w/ Mayne Event came out on top. This league was so balanced, that conference play hurt teams chances for at-large bids.


The Big East and its 140 teams all make the tournament and grab the national spotlight, which they should. But, my gripe is this. Why even give Depaul a shot in the tournament? They didnt even win a conference game. It was pathetic. They roll into NYC, and knock of Cincinatti though. I am kind of getting off topic here, but let me shoot you straight...


MAJOR CONFERENCES SHOULDNT HAVE TOURNAMENTS.


These teams had their chance to play their way into the tournament the entire year based off of their conference schedule right? Isnt that the excuse people use for teams that are in hug conferences but dont have signature wins? Let the Mid Majors play these tournaments, and have them more in the national spotlight coming down the home stretch.


This is a pipe dream, and I know the money is absurd that these tournaments pull in, I just want a more level playing field. I used to love the majors until i went to Hofstra. Now, it is very hard for me to pull for 1 of these teams. I want to see the little guy do their thang.


Lets go VCU in this years tourney. All Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment